Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sometimes they whisper their name

I have a weakness for using components from old, out of style or broken jewelry to create new lovelies that can be worn and well-loved again, as jewelry is supposed to be.  All my newly made trinkets want to belong to and adorn someone, my pieces that are yet unsold whisper to me in quiet moments in my studio like children in an orphanage - "when do I get to go home with someone?  when will someone love me and wear me and take me home to play?"

No, I'm not crazy, I don't think.  I'm not imagining things, they really do have a voice, if you listen closely I bet you could hear them too.  It's the ones that won't speak up and and at least tell me their name that frustrate me.  They're the ones that sit finished by my worktable in a jewelry tray, not even listed on my website for anyone to buy yet, because they're either very stubborn or very shy, and how can I list them if I don't know what to call them? Sometimes I think they're the ones that feel they need to choose their new owners, instead of the other way around.  These are the pieces that usually sell out at craft shows I take them to, when people can pick them up and touch them and connect with them. Maybe they tell their new owners their name after they get home, whisper it in their ear...

Ok, maybe I am crazy, just a little.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my latest reclaimed beauty, a bracelet whose centerpiece is an eco-friendly bamboo tile (made by my high school friend Donna who does scrabble tile jewelry along with a few new things with metal that she is getting into now.  You can find her here on Etsy: charmingladies3 ). I also included wooden circles and rings from a new, broken necklace that never got to be enjoyed in it's former life, and little vintage green beads that are a cross between lime and olive that look fantastic with this bamboo-tile bead but really did not play well with the soft green beads on it's former home, a necklace I deconstructed for another friend a while back (you can see the pictures of the beads from that necklace I used with a handmade shell flower here on Flickr.  The heart charm is a perfect match to the flowers on the bamboo tile, and was rescued from a bargain bin at a discount store, where it was on a charm bracelet that was a little "over the top" for my tastes all together, but had some lovely charms worth saving.  "Use me, use me!" the charms pleaded.  Really, they did.

Earth-friendly and fun, I hope it finds a home with someone just like it! 




By the way, it whispered "Going Green and Lovin' It" when I asked what it's name was.  I'm not sure if that's a name or a philosophy, but it worked for me either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment